Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fear

I'm back!  I really hate that I let this blog go so soon after starting it.  I had thought long and hard about even starting this blog.  I didn't want to start it without being able to keep it going.  I was so compelled to share information with people that I finally bit the bullet and went for it.  Then lo and behold, life simply got the best of me.  Between work, the holidays, kids' illnesses, well, you know...

I have wanted to start the blog back up so badly, but was worried - no, afraid - that I wouldn't be able to keep up again.  But I just have too much I want to share with you!

So I sent my friend Jonie a note, and she agreed to help me out with posts when I'm just too busy.  Be sure to check Jonie out at Buff By My Birthday.  She is full of fitness inspiration and encouragement - her Water Bombs are, well, the bomb!

I think the reason a lot of people are hesitant to start a new fitness routine or jump on the "clean eating" bandwagon is fear.  Just like I was afraid to re-start this blog, so many are afraid of their own personal failure more than anything.  Looking back, I realize that all of the excuses I made for the way my family was eating and my lack of exercise were really ways to cover the fact that I was terrifed to commit to completely changing our daily way of life.  But I can now say with 100% certainty that I can do it!  I DID do it!  And if I can exercise regularly, eat (and live) clean, and prepare from-scratch, healthy, clean meals for my family week in and week out, anyone can.

So let me help you get started.  Tell me your biggest obstacle or fear when you think about changing your habits.  If you have started exercising regularly or eating better recently, what finally did it for you?  You may just flip that switch for someone else.

I'll go first.  One of my biggest fears when it came to changing the way we eat was that I would feel deprived and miss my little "treats."  But it's really quite the opposite.  My family enjoys amazing meals, and I still enjoy little (dark) chocolate treats.  I also used the excuse of not having time.  Let me tell you this - that is NOT a valid excuse!  Saying you don't have time for your health and that of your family is a cop-out - it really just means you're not willing to make the time.  I won't go into my busy daily schedule here, but I will say that if I can find time to do this, you can too.  And what finally clicked for me?  I am not getting any younger.  I waited late to have kids.  I want to be around to annoy the you-know-what out of my precious babies for as long as I can, and I want them to grow up knowing what healthy food is and knowing that it is always readily available for them.

Okay, your turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment